Saturday, November 11, 2006

Well worn by time ....

2 months ago I returned from going home. I always take a moment to stop at the kennels ... Bruno and Girl just celebrated their 3rd birthday. Both are Rotweillers (unexpectedly friendly and adorable). Tangachi (which means younger sister) was a German Shepherd. She saw us through many years, 12 or 14 I cannot remember which. She put her paw out and called when we pass her by; she silently understood when our disturbed hearts were troubled; she grinned along with us when we were jubilant. Then I received the sms - Tangachi girl died today! (That was 2 months back I guess). Somehow, I knew .... that's why I stopped by more often. I knew time had worn her down. She still smiled; she still called with her paws; she still silently understood ... but she was tired. I sensed it.

Today, I got another sms. Our family doctor, Dr. Pani ... he too had passed on. I remember, when he moved into Seremban when I was around 4 or 5 years old. He took over our old doctor's clinic. What made a man want to be a medical practitioneer at a small town clinic? I noticed, he listened to his patients .. their stories, their lives. He not only gave them medication, he was their friend.

Once a year before dad died, we met with a major accident. It was on our way to KL. The whole family was hit, we were in shock. Who happened to be passing by? Dr. Pani, who stopped his car and took us to hospital. I knew then that in Seremban, one always had friends. He came by our house when my papa was sick. That was a week before he passed away. On the day he died, he came by to check on him. He came again in the afternoon to admit him in hospital, but it was too late. After dad passed away, once mum took sick. She was so sick, she couldn't get out of bed. We were so scared. We were still 10, 11 and 12. He dropped by our home with medication. She got well. He became my hero.

Many more times, big illnesses, small illnesses. I had my X-ray for university entrance done at his clinic. Then I lost touch ... not so frequent, cept when his car passed by our house. We live in the same Taman. But, he was mum's friend. She went to him for her medication. I heard from her that he was sick ... had contracted throat cancer. For a while, he closed up his clinic. Then he reopened after a few months.

The last I saw him was Chinese New Year, before mum was admitted to hospital. I was worried for her extreme high blood pressure. But I was more shocked when I saw him. He was so thin. He whispered, cos he could no longer speak normally because of the cancer. Still, he whispered concernedly, "What is wrong with her?". I almost cried then.

It is 10 months since. Time has worn him down. He has done well. He gave simply. He gave friendship, he gave his services. He gave his life for friends in a small town. Today, his journey has ended. But to me, Dr. Pani ... you are one of my small town heroes. I was a little girl then. Now I am much older. But people like you inspired me with you life.

To Tangachi and to Dr. Pani .... thank you!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home