A Silent Soliloquy ... In Search Of ...
Disgust chokes the air. Has thou no scar? How can you not? Are thy hands dirty? How come they are not dipped in the dirt?
Fanfare? Oh no! Trumpets sounding your fanfare? Who are you? They tell me your name is SERVANT! Huh?!
Charlotte's Web was a story I read 20 over years ago when I was in varsity. Reading a child's tale then, and even now when I read it again, made me shed a tear or two. Charlotte ~ a name associated with giving, and giving sacrificially. Charlotte, a friend who became a servant-friend of Wilbur the pig. Through her web-spinning wonders, she made an ordinary pig, extraordinary.
Through her act of servanthood, she augmented someone else's life at the expense of her own. All this she did softly, without loud acclaim or attention seeking. Ah!!! Servanthood is the silent giving of oneself.
I have been thinking much about sacrifice and servanthood. I see loud expressions of them everywhere. People who serve and yet want to draw attention to their service. It has become a Christian game, I think. "Let me be your servant ... blow, blow, blow my own trumpet!"
I have been feeling disgusted at servants wannabes ~ who use the title "servant" to glorify themselves. Have been wrestling in my soul. I have been disturbed. Lest I be accused of throwing stones at others, I have been doing my own soul examen as well.
Ah, how I long for you, Charlotte! Sweet, sweet friend. True servant. Softly I hear you at work, spinning away your web for others. Am I just going to be a wannabe servant or a servant true and true? Are you going to be a ...?!

3 Comments:
hi mama,
ya charlotte's web really brought tears in my eyes....
ya i always have tat struggle....do we serve so tat ppl can acknowledge us or we serve like Charlotte not blowing our trumpets.
truth be told, there was a time, i wanted my trumpets to be blown. but i guess it's even more terrible when u wan to blow ur own trumpet all the time.....
I remember reading Charlotte's web while I was squatting in your home library in 2005. =)
I believe that at the end of the day, a true servant will bear fruits. That time, the mere trumpet blowers will be exposed.
Post a Comment
<< Home