Even The Trees There Are Bigger & More Comforting
"USM is a beautiful campus. I don't care what people say, USM is special and those that get to study there are really privileged."
That's what my friend Shelby said in her blog on the 7th July. I was there yesterday. And I was early for an appointment, so I got my colleague to drop me off at our "TRANSFORMATION STONE" The stone that is 3 quarter rough, when you come in from the outside, but 3 quarter smooth when you are ready to go out! It is meant to symbolize our time in campus.
Yes, you guessed didn't you? USM was my Alma Mater too. I went to see the stone to find fresh wind for my soul ~ 20 years on after graduation. Was feeling rather down and out, wondering if this life I had chosen had been worth it. I gazed at the stone, and the message rang the same, "Get your rough edges smoothed off!". What comfort? I was about to lug my bag and go off, when I chanced to look up, towards the way leading to the swimming pool.
That's when I saw my friend! The tree! Its branches spanning half a field maybe ~ vast, shady, reaching out and hugging all in its embrace. At noon when all was hot, I felt cool under its shade. My heart that was nearing my stomach, lifted again. Comfort, hope. I stood and I gazed. Then I understood. I understood that wisdom and strength are given to those with the years behind them; I understood that being fruitful and shady come with giving without thinking about self-protection; I understood that the tree still stood after all those years, because of the unseen Maker who wills it to bloom for His glory.
I turned and walked down to Bakti for my appointment. Holding within myself the secret of living. It is in living un-selfconsciously, and in trusting the unseen One to keep all that I have entrusted to Him.
I am going back there to photograph that tree one day! Thank you my friend.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home