Wednesday, May 18, 2005

We Used To Share Birthdays

Until I was nine, our family birthdays were really big bashes. After that they became just as important but more family affairs ~ so that we privately appreciate one another and show each other how important the other is.

I come from a typical family with its ups and downs. And now as an adult with 2 young nephews ~ big hunks ... we try to celebrate each person's birthday (ours included) with them, when we can. Last Sunday, they celebrated mine, a lil earlier. We didn't mind being silly and just singing, cutting huge chunks and feeding the other, and laughing over some jokes. Before we knew it ~ what with two hungry wolves in the family ... half the cake was finished! That was tea-time. By dinner time, only 2 small pieces were left. They gave me my gifts ... and soon they will be calling me before going to school!

That Sunday was also special cos, as I was walking past one nephew (my Godson) I happened to poke him in the ribs. Usually he will retort back! That day he completely surprised me cos he turned around, put his arms around me, hugged me tight and said, "I love you!". I was speechless. Lil things, make me so happy!

The other nephew and I went walking in the evening .... just talking about this and that. It was special as we found out how each other was doing. Aunty & nephew! Simple things again! I really thank God for family, even though we go through difficult times at times; that with them they make life precious and joyous.

But today, I looked through old albums (I smuggled a pretty large one from home last Sunday). Haven't done it before. Felt like looking at this particular one. It recorded an occasion when I was nine. My father's funeral. I wanted to look at it again cos, come every 18th May, I will remember him. Today would've been his birthday! He would've been 83. And we always used to celebrate our birthdays together! Even our cake used to be ONE cake. And he usually waited one day extra to cut his cake, cos' altho we didn't believe it, my mum wanted to please neighbors by not allowing me to cut my birthday cake earlier. It was pantang. (Haha. But now it is all forgotten, cos we often cut our cakes whenever it is convenient ... even days before!).

Now you know why, sometimes I spend my birthdays in seriousness ... I miss our birthday bashes together ~ papa and I!! This year too, my heart is serious, not only because I look back at the "Humbling of Grace" but cos I almost lost something precious to me!! And so out of all this seriousness, rises a celebration that is not frivolous but thankful and humbled.

So 4 things I celebrate this birthday : my family, my earthly father, my "daughter" and my best friend who walks alongside even when I am at times limping! Yeah, these are the important things in life!!!

Ecclesiastes 4:9-11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home