A Preacher's Nightmare
Actually right now I am side tracking from what I am supposed to be doing. I came down to prepare things for a preaching engagement tomorrow. The Inter Varsity Tour Mission Team have returned, and I am supposed to "recommission" them back into the world they came from to be God's missionary wherever He has placed them.
But the blog seemed to call out to me ~ so I am sneakily sitting here side-tracking. Well, at least the first article today was a "spiritual" one, eh? Anyway, ... now moving on to the Preacher's Nightmare.
My nightmare as a preacher used to be "seeing people yawning when I speak". Makes me feel I am boring and not reaching. But I have found a way to overcome that. Whenever I see people yawning, I just pray that one day these people will become preachers themselves, and that someone else would do the same to them. Revenge is sweet!!! Haha. Now, I even go a step further and warn my impending hearers that this is what I often do. They all seem to look alert in my talk ~ but as a Ph D in Bluffology, I also know those who are sleeping with their eyes open.
But now I am wondering if there is another Preacher's Nightmare. One of my friends, "Flower In The Rain" often looks very attentive during talks, until I found out what she was doing. I asked her for her notes, and saw the notes she had written down ~ her whole page was full of musical notes!!!! Gasp. And she told me with a straight face that "they are notes what!!!"
So what do you guys do when hearing a sermon? Share yeah? My sin is this, ... I am quite a multi tasker .. and feel that only my ears need to be hearing the sermon. So I use my other faculties elsewhere. So I am usually writing things also ~ notes to people, or thinking strategies for the office, etc. But ... I do know what the preacher said!!! "Eer, ... what was the last point he mentioned?" ;)
Now I know why, someone else must have prayed that I will know what it feels like ... ands that's why I am stuck! In preaching!!!!! Be careful yeah!

2 Comments:
will share mine haha :) Besides using my eyes to look at the speaker, showing my respect to her/him, I use my ear to listen. But then if I'm sleepy, i stay awake by drawing musical notes. haha. If I am not sleepy, I will write down what the speaker says but depends also on what he/she speaks. Anyway, Im guilty of sometimes not really listening, thinking of other thing. Haha !! This is honest ok :)
What do I do when someone is preaching? Well, it mostly depends on what the preacher is saying! If the subject does not interest me, then i'll be reading the Bible (or whatever I have with me) or thinking about other stuff. If I disagree with what the speaker is saying, I'll be judging in my heart (God forgive me!), sometimes even discussing it with people sitting around me. If the speaker tends to lari topic all the time, I'll be wondering when this speaker will come back to the topic. :P Not a very good listener am I?
Post a Comment
<< Home